peanut butter energy bars
serves: 12- 16
Preheat the oven to 160°C / 325°F / Gas Mark 2–3.
Grease and line a baking tin, about 20cm / 8in square. Put the butter, sugar, peanut butter, honey and grated citrus zests in a deep saucepan over a very low heat. Leave until melted together, stirring from time to time. Remove from the heat. Stir the oats and muesli into the melted butter mixture until thoroughly combined. Spread the mixture evenly into the baking tin, smoothing the top as you go.
Bake for about 30 minutes until golden in the centre and golden brown at the edges.
Leave to cool completely in the tin (it cuts much better when cold), then turn out and cut into squares. These bars will keep for 5–7 days in an airtight container. For something different, replace the peanut butter with 1 medium-ripe banana. Mash the banana and stir it in after all the other ingredients have been combined.
- Packed with protein-dense peanuts and ingredients to give you a real energy punch, these bars will carry you right through to
- 125g / 4½oz / 1 stick unsalted butter
- 150g / 5½oz / ¾ cup soft brown sugar or light muscovado sugar
- 125g / 4½oz / heaped ½ cup crunchy peanut butter (no added sugar variety)
- 75g / 2½oz / 4½ tbsp clear honey, plus extra to finish
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- finely grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 150g / 5½oz / 1½ cups porridge oats (not jumbo)
- 150g / 5½oz / 1½ cups muesli (such as Dorset Cereals Gloriously Nutty or Simply Nutty)