nutty cranberry cinnamon rolls
to make the rolls
To make in a mixer, place the flour, cranberries, yeast, salt and sugar in the mixer bowl, and fit with the dough hook. Add the warm milk and water with the machine running on a low speed. Continue mixing for 5 minutes. Remove the bowl, cover, and leave in a warm place until the dough is doubled in size, about 1½ hours.
To mix by hand, mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl and add the milk and water. Using your hands, mix well. Transfer to a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, return to a clean bowl and leave to prove as above.
Tip on to a floured surface and knead lightly; you don’t want to knock out the air. When the dough has a smooth appearance, roll it out into a 60cm / 24in square. Spread the butter on the dough, right to the edges. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle this over the butter – again, right to the edges. Now sprinkle over the muesli. Roll up the dough into a Swiss roll, keeping it tight and even. Then slice into 16 equal slices.
Turn the sliced rolls over to expose the swirl. Place all 16 on a lined baking tray, leaving a small space between each roll. Cover loosely with another piece of baking parchment and put in a warm place for an hour. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6. Bake the rolls for 15 minutes until golden brown.
to make the icing
Sieve the icing sugar, then add the maple syrup and vanilla extract with enough just-boiled water to make a thick but pourable icing. As soon as the rolls come out of the oven, drizzle over the icing. Tear apart and enjoy!
for the rolls
- 900g / 2lb / 6½ cups strong white flour¸ sieved
- 75g / 2½oz / heaped ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tsp fast-acting yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 300ml / 10½fl oz / 1¼ cups tepid whole milk and 300ml / 10½fl oz / 1¼ cups tepid water, combined
- 50g / 1¾oz / 3½ tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 100g / 3½½oz / ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g / 3½oz / 1 cup Dorset Cereals Simply Nutty or Gloriously Nutty Muesli
for the icing
- 300g / 10½½oz / heaped 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp good vanilla extract
- a little just-boiled water